Copyright © 2013 University of Illinois Board of Trustees • College of Liberal Arts & Sciences • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign • Developed by ATLAS
Our American family structure encourages men to repress their true feelings, leaving them open to physical, psychological, and relationship difficulties.
Example 5: George Will writes, “Economic equality is good for the United States.”
The thesis statement will reflect the kind of paper being written. There are three kinds of papers: analytical , expository , and argumentative . The thesis statement will take a different form for each of these kinds of papers. 
1. Determine the type, purpose, and audience of your paper.
2. Ask a question, then make the answer your thesis statement.
3. Take a stance, then ensure that it is provable.
4. State it in two parts: a clear topic and a brief summary of what you will say.
5. Limit the thesis to one or two sentences.